rose of sharon - Knowledgebase Question

Commack, Ne
Question by cxc9
I asked a question about the plant now flowering.Loaded w/ buds, but not opening. I checked for budworms, and haven't found any. It gets all day sun. the buds are now opening, but they are dead looking w/ no flowers. Any suggestions.....

0

If you've ruled out bud worms, the problem is most likely environmental/cultural. Lack of sufficient sunshine can cause the unopened flower buds to turn brown and drop = probably not the case if your plant is getting all day sunshine. Fungal diseases are common when the shrub gets too much shade; again, probably not the case if yours gets full sunshine. Rose of Sharon can develop flower buds that brown out when soil moisture is not consistent. Droughty conditions can cause this, as can overly wet or poorly draining soils. It's a cultural problem rather than a disease problem. Deep soaking once a week should help improve the performance of your shrub. Hope this information helps you determine just what might be going on with your plant.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"