planting corn - Knowledgebase Question

Demarest, Ne
Question by jesserosenbe
If I live in North eastern New Jersey, when and how do I plant corn.

0

Corn needs full sun, a rich soil, and adequate moisture to grow well. It needs to be planted in large blocks or multiple adjacent rows in the garden for good pollination to occur. You should start corn from fresh, commercially packaged corn seeds. Corn seeds are usually planted in deep furrows in the garden after the last expected frost date. You can also pre-germinate corn seeds by wrapping them in a damp paper towel and wrapping that in plastic so it stays damp, them setting the packet in a bright, warm spot out of direct sun. Once the seeds swell, plant them in the garden. There are additional instructions on most seed packets as well. The average date for the last killing Spring frost is May 4 so you can plant your corn after the first week of May.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"