Poorly growing purple leaf plum - Knowledgebase Question

N Hollywood, Ca
Question by laschu22
I've a purple leaf plum tree in my front lawn planted 3/2004. There are two 20 year old euc s, a nicolii to the north and an named silver roundish leafed. The purple leaf plum did well at first it hasn't done well the last two years, last year I thought it was because I wasn't watering as much, this year I've watered it more. Leaves are sparse, brown around edges, have vinca, day lilies too, ok

0

Leaves with crispy brown margins can indicate water stress or fertilizer burn. When you water your purple leaf plum, water deeply so the water reaches the entire root system. Sometimes the best way to accomplish this is to make a watering well or watering basin beneath the tree by mounding up a few inches of soil in a circle, about 12" from the trunk, filling the basin with water, allowing to drain, then filling a second time. Watering in this fashion will concentrate the moisture directly over the rootmass and allow it to trickle down, wetting the entire root system. Water your tree once a week and it should improve. Best wishes with your landscape.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"