fig trees - Knowledgebase Question

Cordele, Ge
Question by waldowruth
I have 3 fig trees. One California Mission, one Brown Turkey and one King. The King Fig bears fruit that is delicious. The Brown Turkey has tons of figs, but right before they ripen they all fall off. The California Mission does not bear at all. Can you tell me what is wrong?

0

Some fig varieties do better in some regions of the country than others. The King fig is best suited to your area and that's why you get a good harvest. The Brown Turkey may have a problem with an insect called a dried fruit beetle. The dropping fruit indicates they are spoiling before they can fully ripen. For top quality, allow figs to ripen fully on the tree. But they must be picked as they ripen; otherwise, spoilage from the dried fruit beetle can occur. On-the-tree spoilage or souring is caused by microorganisms in the fruit. These organisms are usually carried into the open eye of the fig by insects, particularly the dried fruit beetle. Daily harvests and the removal of overripe, spoiled figs can greatly reduce spoilage problems. This is particularly true of varieties which have an open eye. Fig varieties with small eyes are less affected. Rapid removal of dropped fruit may reduce problems. Hope this information helps!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"