Tomatoes and basil - Knowledgebase Question

Thornwood, Ne
Question by bennie35gray
Can tomatoes and basil be planted together. My tomatoes are terrific but my basil which has grown tall nearby is ugly now,both in full sun. I live in southern NY. Thanks

0

Plants with the same cultural requirements can usually be grown in the same garden bed without problem. I think your basil simply wasn't harvested often enough to keep it low and compact and full of small, tender leaves. If you clip off the stems on a regular basis, the plant will remain small and will be more productive. There's probably not much you can do to correct the situation with your basil since we're almost at the end of its growing season. Next year be sure to pinch out the stems and harvest the leaves every week or two and the basil will remain small and productive.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"