winter care of apple trees and grape vines - Knowledgebase Question

cincinncti, Oh
Question by tkloenne
I bought 6 grape vines this spring. The vines have grown(no grapes) Should I cut the vines back and/or fertilze before winter? Same type of question for the 3 apple trees I planted this spring Should they be fertilized? Thanks, Tom K

0

There's nothing you need to do for your trees and grapevines to prepare them for winter. In the spring you can prune them back if they need to be reduced in size. Grapevines are typically pruned back to encourage healthy new growth each spring. Ohio State University has a publication on pruning grapes that you can download from the following site: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fa...

You can feed both your grapevines and your apple trees in the spring, just as new growth begins. I'd use a low nitrogen, high phosphorous, high nitrogen fertilizer such as a 5-10-10.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"