chipmunks - Knowledgebase Question

Averill Park, Ne
Question by jprovost1029
How to get rid of chipmunks in the garden?They dig holes and have eaten all my fall lettuce.Please help!Thank you,Janet

0

I'd think first about trapping the critters. There are live traps available and sometimes your county animal control department will loan these types of traps out. Failing that, the easiest would probably be to cover the soil around planting beds with sheets of 1-2 inch diameter wire mesh. Cats, chipmunks and bunnies don't like to walk on it. You can also try pruning trees so the lowest branches are at least 6 feet above ground and placing 2 foot wide metal bands around the tree trunks, positioning them so the bottom of each band is at least 2 feet off the ground. This will discourage chipmunks from taking up residence in your yard. There are also deterrents available in your garden center to spray on the ground and on your plants to help repel the critters. I realize these aren't really simple solutions...but it's not a simple problem!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"