zip 85022 - garlic and onions - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Beth Marks
phoenix, Ar
Question by bmarks03
how and when should I plant garlic and onions. I bought 2 whole garlics and 60 onion bulbs, but have no idea when/how to plant them, when to harvest them and what the harvest time is. Thanks, Beth

0

We plant our garlic in the fall, from last week in September to mid-October, This allows for good root development before the weather gets cold. Here's how: Separate the bulb into cloves a few days before planting. Plant garlic cloves root down about 3-4 inches deep, and about 6 inches apart. Fertilize in April with a good 12-12-12 fertilizer. In June, a scape will form, this should be removed to allow for better bulb growth. The garlic is ready to be harvested when 2/3rds of the leaves are brown (in July). Allow bulbs to dry in a cool, dry place. Tops may be cut off after 2 weeks of drying and before storing your garlic.

Onion culture is the same. You can harvest the onions early in the season to use as scallions/green onions or you can allow them to develop fully. When the tops of the onions turn yellow they will be ready for harvest as explained above. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"