Persimmon Trees - Knowledgebase Question

Frisco, Te
Question by Z1nowar
Hi, I recently purchased two Hachiya Persimmon trees, and they are about 5 feet tall. They are pruned, however I am wondering if they are self-pollinating, and how old/big they have to be to produce fruit. I am in Frisco Tx.

0

Oriental persimmons can be grown in all parts of Texas where temperatures do not go below 10 degrees F. They tolerate a variety of soils, but poor drainage and/or standing water can cause fruit drop or a decline in vigor. They require little or no fertilization and should produce about one foot of leader growth per year when young. If the crop is heavy, fruit can be thinned. This will result in more consistent bearing from year to year. Mature trees may reach 20-30 feet in height and have an open and attractive branching structure. Little pruning is necessary and should only be done to improve structure or to remove broken or damaged limbs. Persimmon trees have an attractive growth form, make a nice landscape tree, and have few pests.

Persimmon trees may take 7 years to begin bearing, but 4-5 years is the average. The fruit ripens in the late fall or early winter. They can be harvested while still firm and allowed to soften indoors. The variety "Hachiya" is a vigorous tree that produces a large, cone-shaped fruit that is very astringent until completely ripened (translucent skin and soft to the touch). Hachiya, an oriental persimmon, will produce female, male and/or perfect flowers on the same tree. In addition, many oriental persimmons can produce fruit from unfertilized flowers (parthenocarpic fruit), though such fruit have no seeds. For this reason, you won't need to worry about cross pollination. Enjoy~

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"