Gardening... - Knowledgebase Question

Frisco, Te
Question by Z1nowar
Hi, I have a garden bed in my back yard, however my backyard is filled with grass. Every spring, I dig the grass up, and remove the grass roots about 6 inches deep, and in about June, the grass invades my garden bed again. I need something to permanently kill the grass in my bed. I have tried Round-Up...it works for about 3 weeks, but then the grass appears once again. Any suggestions?

0

The best way to control grassy weeds is to cover the top of the soil with weed block landscape fabric or a thick organic mulch. Depending upon what you are growing in the bed, you may be able to apply a pre emergent herbicide such as Preen to keep those weeds from growing. Corn gluten meal based pre emergent is safe to use in ornamental beds and there are some pre emergent formulations safe for vegetable beds, as well, so be sure to read the label and choose the appropriate product. Since pre emergents will keep all seeds from germinating you'll either need to plant transplants or if you're sowing seeds, wait until the plants are up and growing before applying your pre emergent. Hope this solves the weedy problem~

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"