St. Augustine weeds - Knowledgebase Question

LUtz, Fl
Question by michellepdun
I have a St. Augustine lawn full of yellow globe sedge and several other weeds. What is the best herbicide to treat the sedge, when can it be applided, and can it be used with other herbicdes at the same time?

0

There are products labeled for use on St. Augustine. However I find that they are marginally effective or can actually damage the St. Augustine if used at certain times of the year. I use a weed wiper (homemade) and apply glyphosate (Roundup is one brand) at a strength of 5%. With the wiper and some care I can get the product on the globe sedge but not on the St. Augustine. A little "oops" damage is acceptable to me if I get rid of the weeds but I find that with care I really don't get much "oops" damage! The best time to do your weed wiping is in spring to summer but you need to stay with it for a season or two as there will be some resprouting. And, some tubers that were dormant may sprout later on. Whenever the nutsedge is growing it needs to be treated. The following web site shows how I build the weed wiper: http://aggie-horticulture.tamu...

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"