How to get rid of STINK BUGS! - Knowledgebase Question

Penn Hills, Pe
Question by cynthiwhat
From the news reports, I understand that we are being unindated with these pest but I can not not stand the smell they are emitting. It (the smell) is making me sick on my stomach and apparently no one else can smell it but me.

0

Brown marmorated stink bugs have a shield-like shape and produce a terrible stink when crushed or disturbed. These critters are a native of Asia and were most likely accidentally introduced into Pennsylvania in the late '90s. It's only been in recent years that their populations have been large enough for us to take notice of their overwintering habits. Those stink bugs are coming indoors in search of an overwintering site.

According to the folks at the Penn State Department of Entomology, brown marmorated stink bugs are not yet considered a garden pest in Pennsylvania. In their native locations, the bugs feed on many ornamentals as well as on fruits like apples, peaches and mulberries, but they haven't been targeted as an agricultural pest here yet. I suspect that some day they will be, but for now, they are mostly a nuisance indoors.

Your best control method is to seal them out. Stink bugs enter our homes through poorly fitted windows and door jams, cracks in mortar, attic vents, and under siding. Use silicon caulk to seal exterior cracks and window gaps, and to fill in around the places where pipes and wires enter your house. Inside, use the caulk around light fixtures (they'll crawl down from the attic), baseboards and interior window framing to prevent access. Seal them out to the best of your ability.

Once they are in the house, you can collect them with a vacuum cleaner, but be sure to change the bag frequently or you'll be overrun with the smell. I know what a pain they are and I feel for you, but it seems that there's not much we can do but try our best to shut them out.

You may be able to find more control tactics through your local cooperative extension office. Contact: Penn State University Cooperative Extension, Donohoe Center, 214 Donohoe Road, Suite E, Greensburg, PA 15601 Phone: 724-837-1402

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"