bromeliad salt damage - Knowledgebase Question

Chandler, Ar
Question by kkbenedum
I have a bromeliad that appears to have salt damage. The leaves are light brown and spongy with a white buildup near the stalk. Can this plant be leached since it is watered through the tank or is there another solution?

0

The light brown, spongy leaves indicate overwatering. I think the salt accumulation you're seeing is from your water and while you can leach the standing water in the cup or vase I think you're better off using bottled water to water your bromeliad. A single bottle of water should last a month if you use it exclusively for your bromeliad. If you are watering the soil instead of watering through the cup or vase, you can leach the salts out of the potting soil by flooding it several times in a row. Again, bottled water is probably the best way to avoid the salt build up. When you water the soil, water thoroughly and then allow the soil to dry out slightly between waterings. This will help your plant avoid root rot.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Tulips"