Bougainvillea - Knowledgebase Question

PHILADELPHIA, Pe
Question by REGAL86DT
I live in Phila. I purchased a bougainvillea plant from California. It has done well outside in a pot on my deck during the summer. When should I take it in? How do I care for it during the colder months?

0

Take your bougainvillea indoors when temperatures drop to about 50 degrees. Be sure to hose it off well before bringing it in, to discourage any hitchhiking insect pests. While indoors you can prune your bougainvillea back by as much as a third. Keep it in a brightly lit area and allow the soil to dry out slightly between waterings. Don't expect your plant to flower while indoors but do expect it to develop some leaves. When spring arrives, take it back outdoors and prune it back to encourage healthy new growth. Once new growth begins you can feed your bougainvillea with a half strength dilution of houseplant fertilizer such as Miracle Gro or Peter's. Enjoy your indoor garden!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"