compost - Knowledgebase Question

Demarest, Ne
Question by jesserosenbe
how can i start a mini compost thing in a container.

0

I don't want to discourage you from composting, but wintertime is not the best time to start a compost pile. The cold weather will keep the debris from decomposing. Instead of starting your composting now, I'd suggest stockpiling leaves this fall so you can use them in your compost pile next spring and summer. When the weather warms in the spring you can begin composting. All you need is a container with holes (to allow liquids to drain), some green material (vegetable parings from the kitchen, leaves from the garden, some grass clippings, etc.) and some brown material (dried leaves, crumpled newspapers, shredded cardboard, etc.) and a shovelful of garden soil (contains micro-organisms to help decompose the material in the bin). Mix them all together, wet them down (should feel as moist as a wrung out sponge), and then turn the material every few days. It will decompose and you'll have some nice compost to add to your garden.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"