Kill fruitless mulberry trees - Knowledgebase Question

Austin, Te
Question by CStojanik
i am fighting fruitless mulberry trees in my yard, vetable and flower garden. How to I kill them so they do not come back or send runners to make more trees?

0

Some trees just naturally produce copious numbers of suckers. Other than pulling or cutting them off, there's not much else you can do to control them. The suckers are attached to the roots of the trees - anything you apply to kill the suckers will work its way back to your trees and cause damage or even death. If you pull rather than cut the suckers, you'll have fewer new suckers sprouting. There is a product on the market called Sucker Stopper. I've never used it so I can't vouch for it, but in your case it might be worth a try. The product claims to stop the suckering without harming the roots of the tree. If you decide to give this a try, be sure to read and apply according to label directions. If the sprouts are coming from underground roots from a tree you've removed, you may have success in killing the roots by first cutting the sprouts at ground level and then immediately painting Round Up or Brush B Gon on the stub. These products will be transported back into the roots and will kill off that portion of the root. Repeat as often as necessary. Best wishes with your landscape.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"