Do I prune a hydrangea? - Knowledgebase Question

Sinclairville, Ne
Question by eileen25
I adopted a hydrangea plant from a friend who didn't want to plant it because the tag said it would grow to between 8 and 10 feet tall. My question is, do I prune this plant this fall? I honestly just acquired the plant so I haven't even planted it yet. I'd appreciate any advice you can give me about planting and pruning. I am clueless as far as how to care for it. Thank you.

0

Lucky you! Hydrangeas grow and flower best when given 4 hours of morning sunshine but shade from hot afternoon sun. They like well draining soils so be sure to amend the soil in the planting bed with some compost and dig it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. The only other consideration when planting is to make sure it is planted at the same soil level as it is growing in the pot. (not too deep or too shallow).

Pruning encourages new growth which is not something you want in late fall. Any new growth it develops will not have a chance to harden off before cold weather arrives so do your shrub pruning in the spring, just as new growth begins. Hydrangeas can be kept under control with annual spring pruning. You can prune yours down to about knee level each spring and the new growth it develops should produce flowers at the ends of each of the branches. Annual pruning will keep your hydrangea neat and compact. Hope this information is helpful. Enjoy your new hydrangea!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"