overwintering inside - Knowledgebase Question

Augusta, Ma
Question by junipers1951
I am anticipating moving this winter(Maine).In anticipation I have bought a few shrubs such as juniper/boxwood/bayberry, and a few perennials and ornamental grasses.Can these be overwintered in pots in a cool heated garage? Or in an unheated shed? How to prep?Also can existing ones be dug,potted and kept for moving for next spring? Thank you.

0

Your plants will be happier and remain healthier if you leave them outdoors this winter. Since they are in pots their roots will be susceptible to freezing if the pots are left above ground so the best solution is to dig a trench in your landscape, set the pots in the trench, and cover over the pots with garden soil. The soil will insulate the pots from hard freezes. You can do the same with other shrubs you want to take with you. Dig them now and pot them up, then sink the pots into the soil. They will overwinter well and in the spring you can unearth the pots and take your plants with you when you move.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"