Arbor Vitae - Knowledgebase Question

Dearborn, Mi
Question by tpmarquard
I just planted some 5' arbor vitae, please advise how much and how often I should water this fall. Thanks!

0

Your new arborvitaes will need about an inch of water per week from spring through fall. If you don't get that much rain in a 7 day period, supplement with water from the hose. I like to get my new trees and shrubs off to a good start by making watering wells or watering basins beneath each by mounding up a few inches of soil around each plant, about 12" away from the main trunk or stem. Fill the basin with water, allow to drain, then fill it a second time. This concentrates the water over the root system and allows it to trickle down, wetting the entire root mass. By the time the mounded soil erodes, the plant should be well established and you can simply set a sprinkler beneath the plants to supply the needed water. Best wishes with your arborvitaes.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"