Loropetalum Chinesis Bonsai - Knowledgebase Question

Bayside, Ne
Question by val32549
I have a Loropetalum Chinesis Bonsai which sits on my outside side porch where it gets a lot of sun and some shade. Since our summer was very hot here in NY it was watered everyday. Initially the leaves were a redish color and it was growing quite nicely. All of a sudden the leaves all turned beige and seem to have dried out. No leaves have fallen off. Is this normal? Please advise.

0

What you are describing is not normal for your plant. I wonder if you overwatered your plant and it resulted in root rot. It's normal to want to water when conditions are hot and dry but loropetalum likes soils on the dry side, even during the summertime. About the only other thing that may have happened is that the roots baked in the small container. This can happen if its a dark colored container and it is being hit directly with sunshine. You won't really know the cause until you unpot your plant. Healthy roots will be creamy white inside; dead or diseased roots will be brown, black or rusty colored. Hope your plant isn't too far gone to recover!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"