scale on all my plants - Knowledgebase Question

Port Orange, Fl
Question by dconway9
I have alot of plants that I start from seeds and when they get to be about 3-4 ins. I get white lines over all the leaves I've tried
sevin and other fungusides and can't seem to fix my problem - this happens every season it's mostly on my tomato, beans, cukes and squashes. I plant my vegs in a mixture of topsoil and cow manure. Any help would be appreciated.

0

If the white lines are inside the leaves and are kind of curvy and squiggley, you're dealing with a pest called a leaf miner. The adult insect makes a tiny hole in the surface of the leaf and deposits an egg. The egg hatches into a little worm and the worm feeds on the tissues between the upper and lower surface of the leaves. Since they are protected inside the leaf, spraying insecticides won't harm them. When they have finished feeding they cut an exit hole in the leaf then spin a web that transports them down into the soil. They pupate in the soil and then emerge as an adult to start the whole process over again. While the lines they make in the leaves of your plants look unattractive, the insects don't really harm your plants. Aside from pinching off a leaf when it begins to show leafminer damage, there's not much you can do to control the pests.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"