orange tree - Knowledgebase Question

Port Orange, Fl
Question by dconway9
I have a orange/lemon tree that I have had for over 10 years. This year I noticed that I have a web over alot of my branches and my fruit is very small. It's not like a spider web - i've never seen it before. The tree orginally was a red navel tree but now I mostly get lemons on it - strange - as I said they are very small - the size of a golf ball
I don;t know if its a fungus or what - thanks

0

I'm not sure what the webbing is - fall webworms, perhaps? but if your tree was originally a navel and the fruit it is producing is not a navel orange but more like a lemon, your tree suffered dieback a few years ago and the rootstock has overtaken the tree. Your tree was grafted onto a vigorous citrus rootstock when you first bought it. Cold weather or physical damage can kill the grafted part of the tree and that gives the rootstock an opportunity to grow large enough to overtake the original grafted tree. The fruit you are getting is from the citrus rootstock. Your tree will probably never develop navel oranges again and for this reason, I'd seriously consider replacing it with a healthy new navel orange tree.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"