Pomegranite Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Frisco, Te
Question by Z1nowar
I am planning on buying a pomegranate tree. Do pomegranate trees require pollination? How old do they need to be to bear fruit? Do pomegranates survive Texas winters (I'm in Frisco Texas)? Which pomegranate variety is the sweetest like they sell in grocery stores?

0

Pomegranites will grow in your gardening region. It is considerably more cold hardy than citrus; some can tolerate temperatures as low as 10 degrees but others may be damaged at 18 degrees. Trees usually begin bearing at about 5 years of age and are self fruitful so only one tree is required. According to TAMU, 'Wonderful', 'Purple Seed' and 'Spanish Ruby' are popular. 'Cloud' grows well and bears sweet but white-fleshed fruit that is not as appealing to some as the red-fleshed fruit. 'Cranberry' grows well and bears nice fruit, but it has some problems with fruit rot. 'Davey' is similar to 'Cranberry' but is apparently less productive.

Best wishes with your landscape.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"