grafted acer palmatum w/red limbs green leaves - Knowledgebase Question

Temple City, Ca
Question by judir5
What do I fertilize my Japanese Maple with? It is in a large wooden box/pot. What var of acer palmatum is it?

0

Sounds like 'Sango Kaku', which is a coral bark maple. Since your tree is in a container you'll want to be careful with fertilizer. Too much will burn the roots and affect the health of your tree. I find it safest and easiest to feed containerized plants with a half strength dilution of a water soluable fertilizer such as Miracle Gro or Peter's. You can feed in the spring and then every 4-6 weeks during the growing season, making your last application about mid-October. Mix the fertilizer (half as much as recommended on the label) into a container of water and then water your tree with it in place of plain water. Feeding in this manner will provide a constant source of nutrients during the growing season without the fear of over feeding and damaging the roots of your maple.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"