hydrangia question - Knowledgebase Question

West Hartford, Ve
Question by syllymac
There was a large clump of hydrangia here when we moved to this home 34 years ago. It has stalks that produce large lovely leaves, but over the past 4 or 5 years, there have been only a few blossoms most of which are around the edges of the clump. I cut the stalks back each fall to just above a bud.
Would you tell me please what to do to get more blossoms?
thanks!

0

Hydrangeas develop flowers on new growth and they flower most profusely if they receive 4 hours of morning sunshine. It may be that your overgrown hydrangea is shading the sunshine and the center of the plant is not receiving its fair share of sunshine. Or it might be that the center stems are old and not so vigorous as the newer growth around the perimeter of the plant. You can try reaching into the center of the plant and removing some of the oldest growth down to ground level. This will encourage healthy new growth which should grow tall enough to adequately compete with the younger more vibrant outer growth, and develop flowers for you. Hope this works.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"