Planting after vinegar treatment to alyssum - Knowledgebase Question

AUBURN, Wa
Question by whalelover22
I killed off a bed of alyssum because I don't like its growing habits. My two questions are 1) can I be reasonably sure it will not return if it totally dried up with a week? 2) How long must I wait to replant the area with some perennials? Thanx for your assist.

0

Vinegar will kill the tops of the plants but probably not the roots so you may see the alyssum sprouting up again. The best approach is to dig the plants out, roots and all. Research is still being done on the efficiency of vinegar as a weed control product. Some plants respond better than others to the vinegar so there's no absolute guarantee that it will wipe out alyssum. You'll know in 3-4 weeks whether or not the plants will resprout. For this reason, I'd recommend digging the bed and removing all plant debris. Concentrated vinegar applications can change the soil's pH so you'll want to do a soil test to determine whether or not you need to add lime to bring the pH back up to a reasonably neutral or slightly acidic level. Don't plant anything until you've done a soil test and applied lime (if necessary) to raise the pH. Good luck with your garden bed!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"