Magnolia Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Moncks Corner, So
Question by riouxgr
On June 20th, my neighbor cut my Magnolia tree 3/4 of the way about 12 inches from the ground. The tree is 11 feet tall. I stood the tree up and tied it and taped it together. Still alive, but it is not healthy. There are some growth on the bottom. What can I do to make it healthy again?

0

There's a remote possibility that the trunk will callous itself together if you joined the two cut pieces and secured them so the tissues could knit together. However, since you have new stems or suckers growing from the bottom of the tree, I suspect the top part will die out. The magnolia is trying to survive by developing a new trunk. At this point I'd prune away all but the longest, strongest looking sprout and allow it to grow. It can eventually become a new trunk, although you will forever have a crook in the trunk where the new growth meets the old. Or, you can dig out the damaged tree and replace it with a healthy new tree. I hope your tree recovers!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"