non-flowering bulbs - Knowledgebase Question

yucca valley, Ca
Question by mel21dlr
Hi! I plant bulbs, narcissus, tulips, daffidils, and the first year, they bloom like crazy! I don't take them out of the ground because I want them to reproduce, and they come up great the next year, but they don't flower again. What's wrong? Thanks, Melodie

0

The most common cause of non blooming in bulbs is that the foliage not allowed to ripen on its own. If it is pruned off before it has a chance to manufacture and transport energy back into the bulbs, your bulbs won't flower the following year. The foliage should be left alone until it turns brown and then it can be removed. All the bulbs you mention do best with a period of cold weather. If your winters are mild, you may need to dig the bulbs, store them until fall, put them in your refrigerator for 12-14 weeks and then plant them in your garden. Hope this information helps you solve the mystery!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"