Spirea planting - Knowledgebase Question

cincinnati, Oh
Question by steph2020
Hi, I planted a spirea bush about 3 weeks ago. Now, it looks like the inside of it is rotting (turning brown). I've been watering according to instructions and I know I planted it pretty good. I'm not sure what could be causing this. The same thing is happening to my asters I planted. I even treated for insects. Please let me know what is happening. Thank You!

0

It's really difficult to diagnose a plant problem without actually seeing it but what you describe sounds like root rot. When soil doesn't drain well, or if you overwater consistently, the roots can suffocate. Stressed roots can also develop fungal diseases. Try watering your spirea deeply but infrequently - once each week should be fine. As for the asters, water every 3-4 days. I hope your plants recover!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"