Shumard Oak - Knowledgebase Question

Dripping Springs, Te
Question by tedmontgomer
I bought 3 Shumard Red Oak trees this morining at the Home Depot here. I looked them up on the internet. Apparently they will only do well here if they are from acorns grown in the hill country akaline soil. Where did these trees come from?

0

I can't tell you exactly where the acorns came from, but Shumard Red Oak trees are always propagated from seeds. Other means of propagation are generally unsuccessful with oak trees so the most cost effective way of growing the trees is from acorns. Since Home Depot's nursery stock comes from local growers (nurseries and greenhouses) I'm 99 per cent sure your new trees were grown from acorns from the west side of the state, where the trees are abundant and acorns are, too. This makes them much more adaptable to your alkaline soil. Given reasonably good care, I'm sure they will thrive in your landscape.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"