overwintering inside - Knowledgebase Question

Augusta, Ma
Question by junipers1951
I recently asked about overwintering a few small potted shrubs and perennials over winter to plant at a new home in the spring. I understand about putting the pots in the ground overwinter,BUT if our house sells and we must move that would be difficult in a cold snowy Maine winter.Soooo can they be kept in a cool heated garage? What would I need to do with them there? Thank you.

0

How about digging a trench alongside the foundation of your home or garage - someplace under an eave that might keep snowfall from completely burying the plants and pots? Or a covered patio, deck, porch etc. I'm reluctant to suggest a garage because of the low light levels and the above freezing temperatures. Even though plants are dormant in the wintertime, they still need natural light and if they are used to or require a pronounced winter chill, they won't get it in a garage. Plus, if you do need to move them in the dead of winter, they will suffer damage when you take them out of the garage into the snowy, cold weather outdoors. Hope you can find a place outdoors for them. If not, you'll be taking a chance with the plants. Inside a garage they will need to be watered occasionally. The soil should not be kept moist but it should not be allowed to completely dry out, either. Just barely wet should keep the roots from drying out but should not promote new growth. Good luck with your plants.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"