Japanese Beetles - Knowledgebase Question

Schaumburg, Il
Question by JFMcCune
Japanese Beetles were especially bad this year. Now I'm worried that next year's grubs will devistate my yard. What should I do, and when should it be done? Thank you for your time and trouble.

0

It often takes a two-pronged approach to control Japanese Beetles. You are seeing the adults which were grubs in your lawn and garden earlier this year. So, you'll want to control both the adults you're seeing now, and any grubs that may overwinter in your soil. Milky spore, Bacillus popilliae, is a disease-causing bacterium that is effective against grubs of Japanese beetles. Grubex and Bayer Advanced Season Long Grub Control are other products you might consider using on your lawn. Be sure to apply according to label directions. Carbaryl (Sevin 50WP) will control the adults but I prefer to use something a little less powerful. Try neem oil (Bonide Bon-Neem or Green Light Neem Concentrate) or cyfluthrin (Bayer Advanced Garden Power Force Multi-Insect Killer Concentrate) or permethrin (Spectracide Bug Stop Multi-Purpose Insect Control Concentrate) are labeled for use against Japanese beetles on landscape plants. As with all pesticides, read and follow all label instructions and precautions. Good luck with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"