Applying mulch - Knowledgebase Question

monroe, No
Question by bobcolleen
I am planning on putting rubber mulch down, but don't know if now is the correct time of year or not. Should I wait for all the leaves to fall, and do I have to rake the leaves that have already fallen before applying the mulch? Thanks

0

You won't need to rake the fallen leaves before applying the mulch - they will decompose over the winter months. The rest of the leaves that will fall from the trees can be blown out of the mulch (raking might be too intensive!). Eventually you'll need to remove them from the mulch so there's no reason to wait until next spring to lay the rubber mulch. Go ahead and install the mulch now. This way the mulch will suppress winter weeds and you won't have to deal with weeds before applying the mulch. Use a blower to remove the dried leaves from the mulch later this fall.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"