Hardy mum Plant code WHDA0549 - Knowledgebase Question

Belgrade Lakes, Ma
Question by willy1
I was wondering if and how i could protect my Hardy mums thru the winter. thank you for responding

0

Hardy mums are winter hardy in your gardening region so there's not much you need to do to ensure they winter over. They need to be planted in the ground so the soil can help insulate the roots. If yours are in containers, either sink the containers into the ground or unpot and plant your mums in the ground. After frost kills the tops of the plants you can cut off the dead stems and foliage and cover over the tops of the plants with several inches of organic mulch. Use shredded leaves, pine needles, pine boughs, straw, or whatever material you have on hand. In the spring, remove the mulch and new shoots should appear. If you pinch the mums back throughout the spring and summer months you will end up with compact plants with lots of flowers. Enjoy your mums!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"