Tomato issue - Knowledgebase Question

fort collins, Co
Question by tippyone9
On my tomato plants there is a very fine white powder and I'm wondering what it is and what caused it. Is it something that would prevent me from putting my plants into the composter?

0

What you describe sounds like a fungal disease called powdery mildew. It is common late in the season when days are warm and nights are cool. To reduce infections, avoid overhead watering to help reduce the relative humidity; Selectively prune overcrowded plant material to help increase air circulation. This helps reduce relative humidity and infection. If cultural controls fail to prevent disease buildup, or if the disease pressure is too great, an application of a fungicide may be necessary. These include: sulfur, neem oil (Rose Defense, Shield-All, Triact), triforine (Ortho Funginex), or potassium bicarbonate (Kaligreen, First Step) Chemicals are most effective when combined with cultural controls. You can safely compost the tomato plants. The heat generated from a well managed compost pile will kill the pathogens. Best wishes with your tomato plants.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"