Huge Hibiscus - Knowledgebase Question

Florissant, Mi
Question by lmcrosby61
Hi, I have a huge hibiscus bush in my front yard, and it is way too big for the area. I want to transfer it to a spot in my backyard. My mom says it is a bad idea to move it. But as long as it is in my front yard, I have to keep it pruned for the area, but if I moved it to the backyard, I won't have to do as much. Do I dig 3 ft from the root ball to move it?

0

You can dig and transplant your hardy hibiscus. I'd wait until frost arrives and the plant goes into dormancy before digging it out. The roots should be in the top 12-18 inches of soil and radiate out as far as the longest branches. It's okay to sever some of the smaller roots, but try to keep the majority of the root mass intact. Good luck with the move.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"