Rose of Sharon problem - Knowledgebase Question

Richmond Hts., Oh
Question by mariaangelav
Every year my Rose of Sharon gets flower buds. A small amount bloom but most of them stay tightly closed and get dark spots on them. What is wrong?

0

I's possible that bud worms are feeding inside the unopened buds. Their feeding can damage the flowers to the point where the buds won't open. You can check for budworms by pulling a few of the unopened buds from the plant and either peeling them open to look for the pests or placing the flower buds in a plastic baggie and setting it in the sun. It usually gets hot enough for the little worms to want to escape. If you don't find any bud worms, the failure to bloom is either cultural or environmental. Rose of Sharon needs to be in all day sunshine and appreciates regular deep soakings. Hope this informations helps you determine just what might be going on with your plant!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"