leland cypres - Knowledgebase Question

milner, Ge
Question by sondrabags2
Iplanted 5 small leland cypres last month. They are turing yellow. I have follow instruction on how to plant and care afterwards. I not new at planting. Any ideas why this is happening so soon?

0

It's really difficult to diagnose a plant problem without seeing the plants and without being able to analyze the growing environment. Yellowing generally indicates overwatering or planting in soils that do not drain well.

Two root diseases may affect Leyland cypress; Phytophthora root rot caused by Phytophthora cinnamomi, and Annosus root rot caused by Heterobasidion annosum. Phytophthora root rot can be a problem in both the nursery and landscape, and primarily affects smaller roots on plants. (Large established trees in the landscape are rarely affected by Phytophthora root rot.) The disease is usually more damaging in situations where soil drainage is very poor. Plants with severe root damage may exhibit a general yellowing of the foliage and some tip dieback. Phytophthora root rot can only be diagnosed with certainty by laboratory analysis of affected roots.

You may want to take one of the trees to your local cooperative extension office for positive diagnosis. Contact University of Georgia Cooperative Extension, 140 Stonewall Ave, Fayetteville, GA 30214-1520 phone (770) 305-5412. You may be able to mail the specimen to the plant pathology lab if you're unable to take it into the office. Hope you find them helpful.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"