Trailing Rosemary - Knowledgebase Question

Pasadena, Ca
Question by elchiautla
I recently purchased a 1-gallon trailing rosemary plant that I repotted with a lavender plant; I used Organic Miracle Gro. My lavender started to wilt so I moved the pot to a shady area; the pot is still in shade. My lavender is fine now, but my rosemary is turning brown in some areas and it doesn't look as hearty, green, and alive as when I bought it. What can I do to save it?

0

I can't tell from your description whether your rosemary is unhappy with the shade or if it has developed a fungal disease. Until you can figure it out, you may want to pot up the rosemary all on its own. Try it in both partially shady spots and in full sunshine. Eventually you'll find just the right site for your rosemary and it will recover and begin to look healthy and happy. In general, both rosemary and lavender prefer growing in full sunshine. Sometimes they suffer some transplant stress and can become droopy until their roots become established. I think that's what happened to your lavender. It really should grow well in full sunshine and it will flower better there, too. Why not try moving it into a few hours of morning sun, then gradually increasing the amount of sun it gets until it is in the sun 6-8 hours each day? I think you'll see a big difference in the amount of growth it puts out and the number of flowers it produces.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"