perennials - Knowledgebase Question

clare, Mi
Question by sue712s
are there any perennials that I could plant around my vegetable garden to keep the deer and other critters out? I usually plany marigolds, but they are annuals, and I'm looking for a perennial I can do the same thing with, so I don't have to replant them every year.

0

Unfortunately, gardening in deer country can be a challenge. In my own experience, the only truly reliable long term solution is to fence them out of the garden. However, some gardeners report success using the repellent sprays labeled for deer. You will need to apply and reapply it per the label directions and you may find it is more effective to alternate between the different brands. Frequency of application varies between brands and also on the weather conditions, but if I remember correctly it is not so often as daily. There are some lists of deer resistant plants, but that does not mean they are deer proof. When browse pressure is severe the deer will eat a wider variety of plants. Your neighbors would be the best source of information as to what the local deer population has not yet decided is edible. However, you may find the following lists interesting. http://njaes.rutgers.edu/deerr... Best of luck with your garden!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"