Lawn grasses - Knowledgebase Question

Stoughton, Ma
Question by mychalx
I have a large tree in the front of my yard that blocks some sun from coming through. I have had some of the branches pruned, but do not want to loose all of the shade from the tree. A small part of the area grass will not grow fully amd when I water some parts form puddles. What can I do to correct this area?

0

Not many turfgrasses will tolerate shade so you're limited in the types of grasses you can grow beneath your tree. The fine-leaf fescues are considered the most shade tolerant of the cool-season grasses. Creeping red fescue, Chewing?s fescue, sheep fescue and hard fescue all have shown promise in heavily shaded areas. Some varieties of Kentucky bluegrass and fine-bladed turf-type tall fescue will also perform well in the shade. To help the soil drain a little better you can aerate the lawn. A core aerator will remove one inch by three inch plugs from the lawn. Leave the plugs on the lawn and they will dissolve in rain or water from the sprinklers. After aerating spread a thin layer of sand or compost over the area and water it in well. The sand or compost plus the soil from the plugs will work their way down into the holes left by the plugs. You can then overseed your entire lawn.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"