tree planting - Knowledgebase Question

Aurora, Il
Question by thegeneral24
The whole we dug was all clay and as hard as cement,the whole was twice the size of the root ball and we filled it with good dirt,mushroom compost and watered it. The next day I went to repack the dirt around the tree and my foot sank in water, it had not absorbed into the ground. Someone suggested 4

0

It's really difficult to improve the drainage with gravel and PVC pipe (which is supposed to direct the water away from the tree roots). It may be possible but I think the easiest solution is to make a mound or an island of topsoil and plant the tree on top of this. It works a little like a raised bed. You import well-draining topsoil, make a mound or an island 12-18 inches deep and 4-6' wide, then plant the tree in the mound. This ensures the roots remain above the soggy soil.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Tulips"