dwarf naval orange tree - Knowledgebase Question

el monte, Ca
Question by Mrscaves76
I have a dwarf navel orange tree that I bought from Home depot, back in spring. I still have it in a pot and it is flowering now and has three oranges already. Can I plant it now or is it too late? Also what can I do to help the branches support the fruit on the branches? I'm assuming all the flowering is going to turn to fruit.

0

I think you can safely plant your orange tree without sacrificing too many of the fruits. Just dig a hole the same depth but slightly wider than the container (set the nursery pot into the hole to make sure the depth and width are just right). Then carefully unpot your tree and set it in the planting hole. Fill in around the sides with garden soil, tamp it down, then water the tree to help settle the soil. Your tree should barely know it's been planted. Build a watering well or watering basin around the perimeter of the plant by mounding up a few inches of soil in a circle, about 12" away from the trunk. Use this basin to water your tree. Most citrus trees will need a deep soaking once or twice a week (depending upon weather). Fill the basin, allow to drain, then fill it a second time. Watering in this way will concentrate the moisture directly over the root mass and allow it to trickle in, wetting the entire root system. You may need to use a length of 2X2 as a crutch beneath a branch that is heavy with fruit in order to keep the branch from breaking under the weight of the developing fruit. The flowers should turn into fruits. Enjoy your tree!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"