Perennials and What to Do.... - Knowledgebase Question

livonia, Mi
Question by hcurvo123
I bought mostly perennials this year. Question, what do I do with them after they are dried up? Do I snip them down? Do I just leave them? Please advise as I don't know what to do. Speedwell, Gaura, hibiscus, coneflower,Asiatic lily. thank you.

0

When the stems and foliage have died down (usually after your first frost of the season) you can cut everything down to ground level (with the exception of the hardy hibiscus), and then mulch over the tops of the crowns the plants with shredded leaves, straw, pine needles, etc. to insulate the roots over the winter months. In the spring just brush the organic mulch away and your perennials will sprout right up. The hardy hibiscus may freeze down to ground level in the winter. If it does, just prune it down to ground level in the spring. If it doesn't freeze down that far you can simply prune away the dead parts of the branches. Hope this answers all your questions.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"