Winterizing Shrubs in Containers - Knowledgebase Question

Chittenango, Ne
Question by tcrobar
When should the pots be wrapped in bubble wrap?
Should the shrubs also be wrapped in bubble wrap?
How much water should be given at time of wrapping?
Should a mulch be applied to top of soil after watering and wrapping?
Should burlap be used in addition to the bubble wrap?
Thanks for your help.

0

The easiest way to protect containerized plants from winter weather is to sink the pots into the ground. If that's not an option, wrap the pots before your first hard freeze and be sure to poke a drainage hole in the bottom so excess water can drain out. Until the ground is frozen your plants should receive enough water to keep the soil barely moist. Burlap can be wrapped around the bubble wrap but it isn't necessary. I wrap the containers, group them together in a place protected from icy winter winds, then pile shredded leaves over the group of pots, covering the top of the soil in the pots. If you have a corner between to outside walls, set them there then pile shredded leaves over the pots, leaving the tops of the plants exposed. Hope this answers all your questions.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"