Montauk Daisy - Knowledgebase Question

River Vale, Ne
Question by tbcassidy
I believe that you are supposed to cut this plant back twice in the growing season. My problems is, when do you do this?

0

One of the secrets in growing these daisies is the spring cutting. A perennial, the Montauk daisy will overwinter and begin to green up in the early spring. For many, if not most plants, we simply leave them alone throughout the growing season. You can do that with this daisy, but if you want some truly superb results, it's a good practice to cut the plant back to the ground in mid-Spring, around June in most areas. You'll note plenty of new buds at the base of the plant. Do this, and you'll get more than a pretty little clump of flowers. What you'll get is a shrub, perhaps three feet tall or taller, and just as wide, with fat stalks and beautiful late-blooming flowers. Make the spring pruning an annual chore, and you'll have a nice bushy plant year after year. Best wishes with your garden.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"