drought-stricken lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Scituate, Ma
Question by drheefner65
How do we care for our drought-stricken lawn in the fall to bring it back? It is still yellow and feels like straw - we have cut it once in late summer. Do you think it could have been also burnt by fertilizer when we put down Step 2 and were unable to water properly because of a water ban?

0

It's possible your lawn suffered some burning from the fertilizer. If you know you cannot water regularly, the best way to fertilize is to apply it just before a rainstorm. I know the weather predictions aren't always 100 percent correct, but try to follow the forecasts and apply fertilizer just before you think it's going to rain. This may mean that you cannot fertilize at all during the summer months, but no fertilizer is better than burning the lawn with fertilizer than you can not water down.

I think I'd simply allow the lawn to green up on its own. As soon as fall rains begin it should green up. If it doesn't green up well this fall, plan on overseeding next spring. Good luck with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"