roses - Knowledgebase Question

scarborough, Ma
Question by cherbert1
how do I prepare my knockout roses for winter? Do I cut them back etc?????

0

Knock Out Roses are extremely hardy and generally do not need any preparation for the winter months. However, if your plants are reasonably young you might want to prune them back so you can cover over them with pine boughs, pine needles or shredded leaves to help them through their first winter. Wait until after your first hard frost to do any pruning. Once a plant experiences a frost it signals them to go dormant and you can safely prune them back. If you prune before a frost the plant will respond by sending up new growth which will not have time to harden off before winter arrives. This will die back and need to be pruned again in the spring. I'd just wait until after a frost and then do any pruning you need to do. Best wishes with your Knock Out roses.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"