dwarf japanese maple - Knowledgebase Question

edison, Ne
Question by mikem20
I have a laceleaf dwarf japanese maple that I planted in this spring. When planted the leaves were red. They turned green in summer. They are now brown, almost white at the edges, and have begun to curl. There are new shoots and one new red leaf. Is this normal or do I have a problem? If I have a problem, how do I correct it? I water every other day with a sprinkler system for 20 mins.

0

The problem with the leaves sounds like sunburn, accompanied by salt burn - either from overfertilizing or from the salts in your soil. As your new maple becomes accustomed to growing in your landscape, it will develop and maintain its red leaves throughout the spring and summer. Japanese maples, especially laceleaf maples, don't mind a few hours of morning sun, but they will burn in hot afternoon sunshine. If possible, provide at least some filtered shade for your maple tree to help it maintain healthy foliage. Maples like slightly acidic soils. If you can mulch with compost or peat moss in the spring and feed with an acidified fertilizer such as Hollytone or Miracid, your tree will appreciate your efforts. Best wishes with your Japanese maple.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"