seeds - Knowledgebase Question

jersey city, Ne
Question by buckie124
hi I'm a beginner gardener and i would like to know when i plant the bulbs do i have to dig them up next year and divide the sprouts? 2) I have some cherry seeds and would like to know how to plant them exactly? thanks!

0

Most spring flowering bulbs can be planted in the fall and left in the ground all year around. When you leave them alone they usually multiply and in 3-4 years you can have lots of new bulbs. After a while they can become overcrowded and will need to be dug and replanted so each has enough growing room. This is usually 3-4 years after your initial planting. So to answer your question, you can leave the bulbs you plant this fall in the ground for several years before you need to dig them up again.

The cherry, like all temperate fruit trees, requires a "chilling" period or winter to prepare the seed for growth. The hard shell of the pit does not need to be removed, and you can plant the seed about a half inch deep in regular garden soil, where you want the tree to grow in your landscape. Do it now and the winter weather will provide the required chilling period. Your seed should sprout in the spring but might take a longer time - maybe into next summer before you see it sprout. Plant several seeds because it is possible that only a few will grow. In about seven to ten years you may begin eating cherries from your tree. The fruit from your seedling may be tasty, or it may be bitter. Like apples and peaches, this is a plant that will not produce a seedling exactly like the parent.

Hope this answers all your questions.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"